Storm Nexus

Information and News
Chatbox
Current News
IC Date: Month 11 2267 to Month 6 2268
(Turns 7-8 of the 10th Pass)
Please do not go beyond these dates; going back and doing threads in the past is fine, going into the future is not.
Threadfall: Ongoing; intermittent and unlikely to freeze as the weather warms
Following a spectacular flight, Queen Minervath was caught by King Sulith and is now heavy with eggs. A new clutch is on the way, but will it be anything like her last or will this time bring joy and not sorrow?

Meanwhile, the Weyr continues to recover from the disastrous fallout of the first Threadfall of the Turn. Thread was successfully fought, but there were many injuries that brought the fighting strength of the Weyr down. A meeting has been called amongst the Weyr's leadership, Weyrlingmasters and Wingleaders to determine where the weaknesses lie.

In happier news, Senior Queen Kansk and Soldier-King Candesk have laid clutches, and as the eggs have hardened it has become clear that a joint hatching is to be expected.

Play | Pause
The Drunken Dragon
Storm Nexus is a multi-platform site - we don’t just have the board, we have The Drunken Dragon. It’s our main social hub - for hanging out, plotting, chat RP, all kinds of things. Come say hi to us!
Our Staff

Prissy
Head Admin

Tirya
Resident Codebeast

Femisis
General
Admin

KnifeSmile
Founder and Loremaster
The Peacekeepers Age
The Peacekeepers Age
Storm Nexus: Pern as you've never seen her before.
Pern is the creation of Anne McCaffrey, may she rest peacefully beyond between. | Skin based on a Jcink default, customized by Tirya.

Add Reply
New Poll

Ask Tirya
Tirya
 Posted: Sep 27 2016, 02:26 AM

King of Applesauce and Resident Codebeast
Group: Admin
Pronouns: They/them

While a lot of communication can happen just fine in the cbox, sometimes time zones get in the way, and sometimes it's good to have a more in-depth discussion than the cbox character limits allow.

Therefore, I am opening this thread as another line of communication.

This is an all-purpose question-asking thread. Feel free to ask for clarification and/or details on anything - aspects of Pern, Storm Nexus site lore, character concepts, etc. I'm also proficient in translating from Lurhstaap to Standard English, so if you're having tl;dr problems with our admittedly dense site documentation, I'm happy to clarify it for you. (This will be less of a problem as it gets transferred over, as I will be posting translated versions here, but for now the point stands.)

I can't promise that I'll always get quick answers up, but I'll answer as soon as I can.

Ask away!

--------------------
Alberon and Sulith | S'ran and Urukath | M'kor and Morgoth | C'raia and Lenath | Emiya and Sarkith | B'rene and Hesaeith | Z'ros and Preleth
Q'jaali and Murasamath | Nysaki and Mecuazuth | Suri and Nyneoth | Rhavan and Tarivarsherath | Alcarien and Tiaalmath | Jinasa and Ignith
Linnica and Kimuth | Airris and Raytanyth | S'rali and Xavalinth | Akori and Xiaoth | F'leren and Mihaith | J'thani and Nenieth | Essii and Rhalasiisth
Kanchu, Kansk, Husk, and Emsk | Kias, Kiask, Kask, and Kisk | Shiarynri, Shiarysk, and Rynsk | Alisirra, Lisi, and Alisk | Tessen
Lyseron and Twilight-on-ocean-waves | Kasiri and Sunset-on-the-lake | Telai and Elaizesh | Nairo, Melath, and Besyanth
A'shan and Enarith | Masa

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image
PMEmailGTalk
^
Anvakar
 Posted: Feb 17 2018, 10:16 PM

Deus Praeda
Group: Members
Pronouns: She/Her

Hi there, I'm currently in the middle of character creation and I need some help on understanding the tasks assigned to certain character positions. I'm contemplating high level nonplayer/bonded positions like master of intelligence or headwoman, but I'm not entirely sure what responsibilities are involved with that. I have read the main series, but my depth of knowledge certainly isn't as fresh or deep as it might need to be for this, but please don't hold back, I'm very willing to learn! Also as another question, are ferali allowed in these categories? For my character, I am going to make her a young crow ferali. She has wings and a tail, but they aren't well enough to fly with, and her personality has absorbed the cleverness and keen mind of that animal. If needed, I have a ref sheet I'm working on right now to set her appearance. She is a woman of ambition and great will power, and I believe she wouldn't settle for any position that wouldn't allow her to rise in power or rank. Pardon if this is kind of a word dump, I'm just trying to make my intentions as transparent as I can.

To summarize, young ferali bird girl seeks power and revenge, wants to know if she can wear the pants or not haha

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Tirya
 Posted: Feb 18 2018, 02:24 AM

@Anvakar

Wow, hi! Welcome to Storm Nexus! It's great to see a new face. :3

First things first - you kinda skipped a step, in terms of joining; this site is our main RP platform, but it's only really half of SN, and the heart of the site is over on our Discord server, where it's... I'd guess the best way to put it is a cbox taken up to eleven, with added chat RP function. If you're not on the Discord, you're gonna miss a lot. Here's an invite - come say hi and hang out! (I can guarantee you will get dogpiled by people excited to welcome you.)

To answer your specific questions:

We've never specifically set out what a headwoman does, mostly because nobody's expressed interest in playing Plateau's. Honestly, we'll probably end up having a whole-site discussion of what makes sense/sounds fun to have as a character, then go "yeah, that." The specific character you mentioned wouldn't be the headwoman, due to age, but could easily be an assistant with an eye on eventually taking the post - Grey has Iristan, who is a senior assistant, so that could be a useful reference. Same for master of intelligence, really - we've got a messagemaster and an established trained spy, but we've never nailed down the specifics of the top role.

In regards to ferali - there are no restrictions on what species can hold what role, except where there are established IC relatives, in which case it has to be a species that could plausibly have that degree of relation. Basically, in SN-Pern society in general - particularly at Plateau, which is a known bastion of all that is strange (the Weyr has an IC rep of "that one Weyr that will take in anyone no matter how crazy the situation/mutation/etc") - species has nothing to do with potential rank whatsoever. So if your crow girl wants to wear the pants, she can absolutely go for it.

--------------------
Alberon and Sulith | S'ran and Urukath | M'kor and Morgoth | C'raia and Lenath | Emiya and Sarkith | B'rene and Hesaeith | Z'ros and Preleth
Q'jaali and Murasamath | Nysaki and Mecuazuth | Suri and Nyneoth | Rhavan and Tarivarsherath | Alcarien and Tiaalmath | Jinasa and Ignith
Linnica and Kimuth | Airris and Raytanyth | S'rali and Xavalinth | Akori and Xiaoth | F'leren and Mihaith | J'thani and Nenieth | Essii and Rhalasiisth
Kanchu, Kansk, Husk, and Emsk | Kias, Kiask, Kask, and Kisk | Shiarynri, Shiarysk, and Rynsk | Alisirra, Lisi, and Alisk | Tessen
Lyseron and Twilight-on-ocean-waves | Kasiri and Sunset-on-the-lake | Telai and Elaizesh | Nairo, Melath, and Besyanth

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image
PMEmailGTalk
^
Anvakar
 Posted: Feb 18 2018, 09:16 AM

Deus Praeda
Group: Members
Pronouns: She/Her

Ok, thank you so much for your response, you've definitely helped!

So to clarify, there isn't exactly one base of information? And most things learned are picked up on the way?
I was going to begin by looking at your timeline and reading the logs in there to fully grasp whats going on, because when I make a character they are fully woven into the history of the area, with a equal amount of creativity too.

I understand the need to go over what a headwoman would have to do, and I know nonbonding players are possibly not as interesting on the surface as those that are. But a big arc in my character is her inability to do so, either flat out refusing or being refused by watch-wher queens and such due to... a hidden nature http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Reading what you've said, I definitely think a head of intelligence or some other secret agency role would suit her better, due to the watchful nature that a lot of crows exhibit and how they are often used for surveillance or other high risk roles as seen in many movies and books. I happy to participate in the discord, though it is more likely I will continue to do so on my phone versus computer. I'm sure that will all be clarified in the chat http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

I will also heavily scrutinize other people's character builds in order to see what works and what doesn't in your roleplaying forums. It's all a bit unconventional, but that is what makes it fun! I hope my time here will be of some contribution http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Tirya
 Posted: Feb 18 2018, 09:15 PM

The site has most of the info on it, but basically when we run into something that hasn't been established in detail we either admin-collab it or (more usually) site-member-crowdsource it. And yeah, everyone here is happy to help people pick up details on the way :3

Reading the logs is a good place to start - I'd also recommend reading the basic info (species, Talents, bonding critters, etc - all the ways we deviate from standard Pern) and going in and reading characters' profiles for more in-depth stuff.

Ooh, what do you mean by hidden nature? (Also, not all wher hatchings on SN are queen-hands-out-the-eggs style; we recently finished a double-clutch that was done dragon style. Not to say that there aren't egg-handout ones, but it's not expected that that's the only way it happens.)

Yeah, we've kinda managed to specialize in unconventional - we're full of all sorts of stuff you don't see in most interpretations of Pern (and that's what makes it fun http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif). If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask at any time - there's even a dedicated questions channel in the discord, though you can also just throw out questions in general chat.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmailGTalk
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll