Storm Nexus

Information and News
Chatbox
Current News
IC Date: Month 11 2267 to Month 6 2268
(Turns 7-8 of the 10th Pass)
Please do not go beyond these dates; going back and doing threads in the past is fine, going into the future is not.
Threadfall: Ongoing; intermittent and unlikely to freeze as the weather warms
Following a spectacular flight, Queen Minervath was caught by King Sulith and is now heavy with eggs. A new clutch is on the way, but will it be anything like her last or will this time bring joy and not sorrow?

Meanwhile, the Weyr continues to recover from the disastrous fallout of the first Threadfall of the Turn. Thread was successfully fought, but there were many injuries that brought the fighting strength of the Weyr down. A meeting has been called amongst the Weyr's leadership, Weyrlingmasters and Wingleaders to determine where the weaknesses lie.

In happier news, Senior Queen Kansk and Soldier-King Candesk have laid clutches, and as the eggs have hardened it has become clear that a joint hatching is to be expected.

Play | Pause
The Drunken Dragon
Storm Nexus is a multi-platform site - we don’t just have the board, we have The Drunken Dragon. It’s our main social hub - for hanging out, plotting, chat RP, all kinds of things. Come say hi to us!
Our Staff

Prissy
Head Admin

Tirya
Resident Codebeast

Femisis
General
Admin

KnifeSmile
Founder and Loremaster
The Peacekeepers Age
The Peacekeepers Age
Storm Nexus: Pern as you've never seen her before.
Pern is the creation of Anne McCaffrey, may she rest peacefully beyond between. | Skin based on a Jcink default, customized by Tirya.
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Endless Waltz, Minervath's Flight
Femisis
 Posted: Oct 16 2017, 09:42 PM

Advanced Member
Group: Admin

This is going to last until next Monday, at which point I will roll a winner if the thread is still going. Once the chasers are in, I'll reply every three posts.

-------
Day 10 Month 12 Year 2267

The time had come. Minervath was once again proddy, prone to snapping at him where it was normally a rarity and her hide was more lustrous than usual. Any other time this wouldn't be a cause for concern, but Kamui couldn't help the anxiety building in his gut. What if this next clutch turned out as badly as the last? They couldn't handle another fiasco like that again. The loss of life was utterly devastating.

Sighing, Kamui wandered to the ledge and peered out over the bowl. He spied Minervath visiting with Ligeroth and Hatsamoth and the sight brought a small smile to his face. Since their return, Minervath had taken to spending time with her hatchlings, even if they weren't quite hatchlings any longer. It was endearing, really, and brought a little hope for the future. 'Faranth, please let this clutch be healthy...'

The quiet of the bowl was suddenly broken as Minervath roared, wings opening as she took to the sky to the pens. I hunger! She snarled as she tore into the first beast, ignoring the blood to tear into the wherry's flesh.

N-no! Blood only! Kamui ordered through his panic, putting a considerable amount of force behind the order. The silent power struggle continued for several minutes before Minervath gave in, switching to blooding her kills rather than eating. Once she was full, she roared again and took to the sky. Chase me if you dare! I will not take kindly to weaklings!

--------------------
PM
^
M'kor
 Posted: Oct 18 2017, 03:00 AM

He Who Arises In Might
Group: Members
Pronouns:

Morgoth had been keeping an eye on Minervath - she was about due to Rise again, and he wasn't going to be beaten to her this time! He was ready the moment she started blooding, and quickly darted down to the feeding grounds, swatting a herdbeast as hard as he could and drinking the stunned (and to be blunt, rather crushed) animal's blood.

When the Queen leapt skywards, Morgoth was on her heels, roaring right back at her. He needed no words to convince her; she wanted strength, so he would show her strength!

~~~

M'kor had been keeping an eye on Morgoth's Minervath-watch; he and Morgoth may have lost her previous Flight, but there was always the next time to consider, and they would not miss out on that chance when it arrived. True, she wasn't the Senior Queen, but any Queen's Flight was good prestige, and if they won it would hardly prevent them from trying for Indilth too. After all, nobody who was familiar with Morgoth would expect him to be attentive and faithful to a mate.

Half his mind with Morgoth, the Officerrider headed for Kamui's weyr. Excellent, Minervath was looking for a show of strength; that was definitely Morgoth's strong suit. Other half of M'kor's soul the dragon might be, but he was less than adept at tests of clever thinking, and the less said about the concept of Morgoth using flattery and charm the better.

His destination reached, M'kor knocked on the Queenrider's door - after all, it was important to show the proper politeness. Any little thing could count for or against them.

"May I enter?"

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Emiya
 Posted: Oct 18 2017, 03:26 AM

Minervath's roar - and the subsequent noise coming from her suitors - startled Sarkith out of what had been a very nice nap, and it took him a moment to realize quite what was going on (and indeed that he had just woken up).

-was that way when I found it, I swear! The Knight jumped to his feet, looking around fearfully for the wyvern flock that had been blaming him (unfairly!) for their broken chair collection.

...oooohhh. Right, okay. That was a dream. Good, good -

Sarkith then reached the point in his visual flailing where the feeding grounds were visible. Oh! Minervath was Rising! Well that explained how loud the wyverns had been, if they were actually Minervath.

...wait. Minervath was Rising! And while Sarkith was a Knight, and therefore far less likely to win than an Officer or a King, he could still chase - and Queen Flights were some of the funnest flying challenges there were!

He arrowed towards the feeding grounds, neatly dispatching a herdbeast to blood - he'd need to keep his strength up, most definitely. Sarkith didn't feel much need to respond to Minervath's challenge beyond taking to the air after her - he'd be overjoyed if he won, of course he would, but he was here for the flying first, so there was no reason to puff himself up and try to brag and whatnot. Still, it was polite to respond to her, right? And she definitely deserved respect and courtesies and all.

I will do my best for you, I swear!

~~~

Emiya, for her part, was torn - she didn't particularly have a reason not to go to Kamui's weyr for the rider part of the Flight, and it was generally what one did, but... Kamui was a Queenrider, and Emiya was just the rider of a Knight who was Chasing more for the fun of the flying than any desire for Minervath. Showing up in that case didn't seem all that polite.

In the end, she decided that even if he wasn't trying to win as hard as the other Chasers were, she should still support Sarkith. (Plus it was that or bar herself in her own weyr, and that was definitely less appealing as an option.)

She made her way to Kamui's weyr, where she knocked and then hung back, still not entirely sure this had been a good idea - though at least the worst she'd get if it wasn't was told to go away.

"Hello. I hope it's okay that Sarkith is Chasing, I'm not sure what Minervath thinks of Knights participating in her Flights."

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Tirya
 Posted: Oct 18 2017, 04:01 AM

King of Applesauce and Resident Codebeast
Pronouns: They/them

[[Note: as you may have noticed, I'm posting with sub-accounts for the characters of mine who have them, and lumping the rest into my main account. Feel free to count everything I do in a round of the Flight as one post.]]

~~~

King Urukath of S'ran (who is busy finding his weyrmate and does not appear in this post)

Urukath generally didn't pay much attention to Queens, or at least to what they were doing; they were clearly busy being Queens, and that was enough for him. What 'being a Queen' meant at that particular moment meant nothing unless it affected him, and it rarely did.

Except, of course, when a Queen Rose. Then she was the entire center of Urukath's attention - as it should be.

The King leapt into the air the moment he heard Minervath's roar, all thoughts of sunning forgotten. He roared back, announcing his presence and declaring a challenge to anyone else who heard, and dived straight onto an unlucky herdbeast, blooding as the Queen did.

And - excellent. She wanted someone strong. Well, of course she wanted someone strong! That was the point of a real Flight, to prove the suitors' strength. Urukath snarled in vicious amusement as he launched himself after Minervath.

Weaklings should not even try to fly a Queen. I am no weakling! I will show you!

~~~

Alberon and King Sulith (NPCs/wip)

Some dragons - many, in fact - would find it most reasonable to respond to a Queen declaring that she wasn't in the mood to look favorably on 'weaklings' by making a show of strength, and leaving off the softer charm-based techniques that might be suited for a female looking to choose based on personality.

Sulith, on the other hand, could not think of a situation in which poetry and courtesy was not the correct answer. Such a thing did not exist. Even as the King blooded his kill in preparation for the Flight, he was already regaling Minervath with flowery praise.

My fair lady, I have come to admire your radiant splendor, and shall do my utmost to prove my strength and merits. You are a warrior queen, a brilliant unbreakable jewel, not a delicate flower - and I shall demonstrate the respect I bear for your iron will, and that I am capable of meeting it in kind.

Sulie, I think you kiiiinda might be overdoing it. Just a bit.

His rider clearly did not appreciate the effort Sulith was putting into this.

Nonsense, I am praising her exactly as much as she deserves.

Eh. Your call, buddy.

As it was, in fact, his call, Sulith proceeded to ignore his rider's criticism and leapt gracefully skywards, following Minervath.

-

Alberon had headed for Kamui's weyr the moment Sulith took notice of Minervath Rising; there was no way he was going to miss out on a Queen Flight.

Waltzing right in - the door wasn't locked, and there had definitely been time to lock it, ergo suitors were welcome, that's how Queen Flights worked - the Kingrider gave Kamui a saucy wink.

"Hello there. Mind if I join the party?"

~~~

Rhavan and Knight Tarivarsherath (Stolen Clutch)

Tarivarsherath stilled as a roar rang out. A threat? Here? Where had it - ah. Minervath, and she was Rising. Well, that was no threat! It was an opportunity!

Rather than heading to the feeding grounds - bah! Far too obvious! - the Knight set up camp on one of his favorite rocks. It was an excellent rock - it had a clear view of the whole Weyr and the skies nearby. He'd be able to see what Minervath was doing from here, and follow along without following along - and then jump in at the last minute! It was ingenious, and he was sure to win.

Other, more refined minds might call this plan "cheating". Tarivarsherath called it "Why would I participate normally from the beginning? Why would I ever want to do that? That's a terrible plan. You're bad at planning. Go away. I'm busy making good plans."

Rhavan, fully aware of what his dragon was up to, promptly set up in his weyr and locked the door. If Tari had been planning on actually playing by the rules, Rhavan would have gone to Kamui's weyr, but since the Knight was planning on something that was admittedly very clever and a good use of strategy, but likely to get him scolded at best... yeah, best not to be seen condoning that. Not being able to stop it was one thing, participating was quite another.

--------------------
Alberon and Sulith | S'ran and Urukath | M'kor and Morgoth | C'raia and Lenath | Emiya and Sarkith | B'rene and Hesaeith | Z'ros and Preleth
Q'jaali and Murasamath | Nysaki and Mecuazuth | Suri and Nyneoth | Rhavan and Tarivarsherath | Alcarien and Tiaalmath | Jinasa and Ignith
Linnica and Kimuth | Airris and Raytanyth | S'rali and Xavalinth | Akori and Xiaoth | F'leren and Mihaith | J'thani and Nenieth | Essii and Rhalasiisth
Kanchu, Kansk, Husk, and Emsk | Kias, Kiask, Kask, and Kisk | Shiarynri, Shiarysk, and Rynsk | Alisirra, Lisi, and Alisk | Tessen
Lyseron and Twilight-on-ocean-waves | Kasiri and Sunset-on-the-lake | Telai and Elaizesh | Nairo, Melath, and Besyanth
A'shan and Enarith | Masa

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image
PMEmailGTalk
^
Grey
 Posted: Oct 18 2017, 03:12 PM

Advanced Member

Having gotten her rider's blessing (Io making her way across the Weyr even now), Suelath had watched from afar. Preening her wings a bit as she took some time in looking at those who arrived as Minervath blooded her kills. Then, as the queen launched into the air, she did as well. Not caring in the least about any looks that were sent her way. As she came in from the right as a blurr of red, gold, and more colors, to join the group following the queen.

Of-course I dare. Is something worth trying if it doesn't mean having to make an effort?

--------------------
PM
^
Sari
 Posted: Oct 18 2017, 03:48 PM

Advanced Member

Time! Roraeth jumped to his feet, rushing out of their weyr without a second thought, determined to fly this queen--or at least sharding try!

Luckily, Syr knew exactly what time it was, and merely chuckled to herself, putting down her book. "Oh, time, is it~?" After spending a few moments prettying herself up, while her dragon landed heavily and blooded a kill, Syr made her way up to the queenrider's weyr. Kamui was handsome enough, but the real prize was the rank and prestige that came along with winning a queen's flight. Not that she'd mind having a little fun.

She believed in Roraeth, and hoped to win, but didn't expect to. No, they would become Weyrleaders someday...but that day would not be today, since, well, Minervath wasn't senior anyways. Lower stakes, right? Still...a veeeerry influential moment, wasn't it?

Roraeth was less concerned with that, as he boldly stuck out his chest. Minervath! Observe my skill! You will find that Roraeth is no weakling! But still, Roraeth was a knight.

Syreth remained curled up in Syr's weyr, grumbling in annoyance about 'why couldn't HE be of age yet, he was the king of the two, he was the stronger and better in every way.' Syr and Roraeth ignored him for the time being--the hybrid's annoyance and melancholy were not especially relevant in the moment.

Syr opened the door, sliding inside, letting it shut behind her--though she could have sworn that kingrider was just a few steps away. She made her way over to Kamui, giving a gentle, warm smile, that probably came across as slightly terrifying and predatory, given her ferali heritage. No lips, wide mouth, too-sharp pointed teeth...yes. Certainly the sight that a concerned queenrider would want to see when their last hatching had gone so poorly.

--

K'ye was hardly ambitious, but it was her duty as a queenrider to provide options for each queen; Ezimoth, of course, was quite ambitious, and had other plans. Regardless of their reasoning, rider and dragon kept an eye on Minervath as the time approached, but neither was particularly nearby when Minervath's call went out.

As Ezimoth landed, he let the sunlight gleam on his heavy scaling, standing proudly. He would likely be one of--if not the--largest dragon chasing, due to his mutation. And he was proud of it. I think you will find yourself pleased, he told Minervath, rumbling softly, not even acknowledging the other dragons, as he ripped open his kill, and fed on the blood.

K'ye stiffly approached the weyr, waiting as another individual went in, and allowing the door to shut, before giving a polite knock, firm and solid, and walking in anyways. She didn't want to catch the queenrider unaware, of course.

Flights were always interesting--in an uncomfortable sort of way, to the woman, who embraced austerity and simplicity rather than sensual or...sexual...displays. She nodded to any who looked in her direction.

--

Glauth wasn't always ready to be aggressive, not when he was getting his way, at least. As Ari shoveled food into her mouth, however, she felt a surge of aggression and wild, untamed anger, mixed with a tint of...something...from her dragon. Wait, was that...lust? "Oh, searing...shard it! Don't--" Ari exclaimed, probably causing a few to look her way, as she left her food behind for someone else and rushed for the weyrbowl, where her dragon was, as if she could physically restrain him and stop him. Even knowing that there was no stopping her dearest Glauth.

Save your energy, Ari. It is time for me to beat these weak dragons, and win a flight. With that, Glauth was off, and before she knew it, he had ripped the throat out of the biggest prey-creature he could find. Ari slowed down, then stopped, a headache forming in her head. The something she felt...flightlust? Grumbling, but unable to do anything about it, she headed to where she figured Thene would be, in her rooms.

Of course she wasn't going to end up with some random guy. She practically barged into the room, where Thene was curled in her bed reading. Thene looked up with surprise. "Ari? What's wrong?" Concern flooded her usually apathetic voice, as she set down the book.

Did Ari really look that frantic?

"Minervath. She's...she's flying. Sharding dragon's going to chase, and..."

"Oh. Yeah. Come here, then." Ari flopped on the bed, and Thene held her gently, almost protectively. "It sucks. But I'm going to be here. Through the whole thing. Don't worry...I don't want to see you like this. It's kind of...gross."

Ari held her close, knowing that Thene didn't mean it. "Yeah, well, not my fault my dumb dragon is--"

MINERVATH, Glauth cried. Prepare yourself. You will find no weakling in Glauth! Let any suitors be warned--I will win, and I will destroy any who get in my way!

"--An idiot."

--

Karou and King Zaielsoth (coming soon, current npc)

Karou did everything with methodical care. Even as she polished her blade, her movements were quick, yet almost needlessly precise. Calculated. As she worked, she felt Zaielsoth's mind touch hers, an interruption that was almost always welcome. Minervath rises. Perhaps we should join?

"It may be wise. She is a queen."

I suppose there are perks to flying one.

Almost indifferently, cool and unperturbed by the flightlust, Zaielsoth glided down to where the other dragons had gathered. He killed his prey, blooding it carefully, and once he was prepared he looked to Minervath. He did not say a word, simply observing. He had not paid much mind to her before, so her every movement was carefully scrutinized, should any hints about the way she blooded her kills or the way her legs moved give him the upper hand in this flight.

Karou, for her part, simply locked her weyr door. She would not be participating in this.

--------------------
PM
^
Reakeda
 Posted: Oct 19 2017, 12:39 AM

Advanced Member

It went without saying that when a fertile queen rose, Carcharoth would chase. That had been the pattern to this point and he wasn't about to change it. So when he spotted Minervath heading towards the pens, he was quick to take to wing. He blooded a beast or two of his own while she and some of his competitors feasted. When she took to the air, roaring her challenge, he was with her, neck and neck with Morgoth easily. He roared back. Words were only necessary for the weak. He would win this time, even if he had to draw ichor to do it.

No. That talent of yours is not to be used. Mi'an said forcefully as he made his way to Kamui's weyr. Carcharoth hadn't bothered to inform him what was going on, but it would be hard to miss the ruckus the lust that very suddenly pulled at him.

I'll do what needs to be done. Carcharoth responded, his voice sounding almost eager at the thought of striking down his competitors.

Mi'an grit his teeth but they were merging for the flight and he still had to make it up a flight of stairs before he'd have a straight shot to Kamui's weyr.

(M'lik of King Androth; NPC possible port in)
Androth wasn't an overly vocal dragon unless it was specifically called for. When he chose to chase Minervath, he informed his rider with more of an intent sent over their bond than actual words. M'lik nodded and stood to make his way to Kamui's Weyr. It would be hard to miss that queen was near rising, so he'd been expecting this. Androth didn't roar back in response. It wasn't necessary and was a waste of energy. Instead, he simply took up the chase with the others.

--------------------
PM
^
Femisis
 Posted: Oct 19 2017, 10:53 PM

Advanced Member

"Just get in here," Kamui said dismissively, waving M'kor in without much thought. He wasn't fond of the rider honestly. The man was up to something, him and his dragon both. Minervath wasn't fond of that sort of scheming, but that was her choice. He wasn't the one flying. When Emiya approached his demeanor improved, if only because he had no vendetta against her. "Any dragon who thinks himself capable of chasing is welcome. Minervath will consider any dragon," He told her, gesturing for her to come in.

"Oh, just come in the lot of you!" He shouted at the door before throwing himself on the bed. He chewed on a fingernail, just a bundle of nerves of what was to come. What was going to happen at the end of this? Would the eggs be alright...?

--------

Her future eggs were farthest from Minervath's mind as she flew, making to double back to survey the crowd. None would be discounted, at least not right away, but there were some favorites to be sure. Sarkith was cute, sure, but as a Knight, and one more interested in the flight than actually winning, he would be at a disadvantage over the others. Sulith's flattery was endearing, but flattery didn't win a Flight action did. Suelath didn't escape her notice; rather, she was amused that a Soldier dare chase, but her determination was admirable. She was impressed by the attempt, at least. Mmm, there were so many... How could she choose?

She circled a bit while waiting for the chasers to take to the sky, noting in amusement that some of her children were watching. Well, she would put on a show for them, at least. All are welcome to chase. Be warned, this will not be an easy flight. Now come! With that she shot off toward the lake, planning to take them on a long chase, as long as she could.

Minervath began to climb for a bit, up and up, before taking a steep dive toward the lake. She got closer and closer, until, at the last moment, her wings snapped open and she flew straight up, rapidly gaining altitude. Now, time to see who made that maneuver easily.

--------------------
PM
^
M'kor
 Posted: Oct 22 2017, 04:52 AM

He Who Arises In Might
Pronouns:

Morgoth eagerly arrowed upwards after Minervath, following as closely as he could - well, maybe not as closely, if he used everything now he'd have nothing to fall back on later. He definitely wasn't falling behind, though.

And she wanted to dive? He would be right there after her. He was no coward, to be afraid of the ground, even as the surface came closer, closer, closer -

Minervath pulled up.

Morgoth, thinking only of the Queen, and not being the fastest of reactors to things that weren't obvious threats, did not.

A thunderous splash went up, giving those Chasers who had been close to Morgoth an impromptu shower as the black-and-red Officer crashed headlong into the lake. He thrashed his way back into the air, screaming his fury, and strafed the water's surface with flaming breath. He had been tricked! Tricked! He was no agile Knight or Soldier, to have practice flying close to the ground! He was an Officer, who dove to body-check targets and set things aflame! How dare she! How-

She was getting away. She was heading upwards, and the other Chasers who hadn't run afoul of the lake after her.

That was not allowed. With a shrieking growl, Morgoth launched himself skywards - he would win this! He would win her! He would show her that her terrible tricks had not stopped him!

~~~

...well. Shards. Minervath just had to go for the acrobatics right away. That sort of maneuver was not Morgoth's strong suit - something they would have to rectify, so that this did not happen again. M'kor was not pleased, to say the least, but if nothing else, this Flight had shown that agility training was necessary - and it was always good to know the extent of your weak points; how else would you learn how to cover them?

And really, he would probably be hurt by Kamui's diffidence if he actually cared what the man thought of him, but as it was, M'kor only needed the Queenrider to respect him and trust that he was a competent individual. Kamui didn't necessarily need to like him, and a man as dramatic as Minervath's rider could very reasonably not think much personally of a strict - if fair - no-nonsense Wingleader such as M'kor presented himself to be.

He'd still need to do follow-up to ensure that that was all this was, though - M'kor had not done anything noticeably untrustworthy that Kamui should know of, and if a Queenrider was going so far as to mistrust him, steps would have to be taken.

Kamui's rather visible attack of nerves, similarly, was noted and mostly ignored - it was neither in M'kor's nature nor in keeping with his public persona to offer comfort, and he had no desire to help with the problems of someone whose personal problems were none of M'kor's, and who disliked him and might discount any help simply because of who was offering it. He and Morgoth were here to win, not for emotions - so he would keep an eye on Kamui, and let things play out.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Emiya
 Posted: Oct 22 2017, 04:55 AM

Sarkith gleefully winged skywards after Minervath - the Flight was flying, now! The rush of air, the beat of wings, the feeling of hurtling through the air on your strength and skill alone - there was nothing that could compare.

Oh, they were heading down towards the lake? Sarkith could head down towards the lake! He could do a lot better than a simple dive, too. Watch this!

The Knight folded his wings in, suddenly plummeting - and pulling out into a series of loops, the lowest of which just barely skimmed the lake's surface. He followed that up by not just flying straight after Minervath, but doing a perfect barrel roll, drilling upwards towards the Queen and then leveling back out into plain flight as he neared her.

Top that, Kings and Officers!

-

"Oh, good. That's a relief." Emiya gave Kamui a (admittedly somewhat shaky) smile as she entered the Queenrider's weyr - she'd been in other people's weyrs for Flights before, Sarkith was hardly one to abstain from Chasing, but she wasn't used to him Chasing a female of such high rank, and this had her a bit out of her depth.

She was trying to remember that Kamui was just another person, like any other, just with more access to power-

Who had just thrown himself onto his bed and started biting his nails. And after what had happened with Minervath's last clutch, Emiya couldn't help but understand - the surviving dragonets were all lovely and credits to their mother, but the one that had gone wrong had gone so very wrong that the whole Hatching had become a near disaster. And all those dragonets, killed before they left their shells...

That wouldn't happen this time. It just couldn't - Emiya refused to accept that things could be that terrible, and surely there were some measures that could be taken to prevent a repeat.

Right now, though, what was important was the Flight. And Kamui's nervousness - that couldn't be pleasant, and while Emiya didn't really know Kamui and even going so far as to sit on the bed with him would be too forward and she didn't want to overstep herself... she could stand near the bed. And it might help to have someone there just being silently supportive without judging or making demands or presumptions.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Tirya
 Posted: Oct 22 2017, 05:04 AM

King of Applesauce and Resident Codebeast
Pronouns: They/them

King Urukath

Urukath streaked upwards after Minervath, his full attention on her gleaming form. Up, up, up - and right back down. Fine by him; he was no stranger to power dives. Focused as he was on Minervath, the King didn't quite realize they were headed for the lake, or how low they'd gotten, until the Queen pulled up. He was chasing her, though, and that meant he was behind her rather than even with her. And that gave him just enough time to react.

He didn't escape cleanly, for all his efforts. His left wing clipped the water as he pulled up, and he had to wrench himself into a glide across the lake to recover. That cost him time. And made him look bad - though with the splash that went up behind him, at least he had the consolation that he hadn't actually crashed. And that meant he'd done better than some.

Roaring his defiance, Urukath climbed back upwards, straining to make up the time he'd lost. For all he'd been caught by Minervath's trick, though, it had been a good one. A Queen who tested her Chasers like that was worth respecting.

Now he would see what else she had.

~~~

Alberon and King Sulith

Sulith followed Minervath skywards, his strong, steady wingbeats carrying him upwards in pursuit. Being somewhat less hyperfocused on the object of the chase than the more aggressive of the Queen's suitors were - and more elegant than most Kings in general - he realized what Minervath was doing as soon as she started diving, and swiftly rose to the challenge. He copied her dive smoothly, though he pulled up sooner than she had, at the second-to-last moment rather than the last; caution might not win the sunrise-hued King as much favor, but there was something to be said for knowing one's limits and not bullheadedly being lured into crashing. Depending on how the Queen looked on it, this might serve him better than pushing to the very edge of his limits and risking unnecessary injury.

Regardless, he had made his showing - now Sulith would follow Minervath to the next challenge.

And, of course, compliment her as he did so - who did you take him for, someone with no class or sophistication?

An excellent opening! A test of wit and skill, not merely strength alone - as expected from a Queen of your impeccable quality.

-

Well. Kamui flinging himself onto his bed and chewing his nails wasn't exactly what Alberon had been expecting, but he could roll with it. Nobody else seemed to want to take the opportunity, so the Kingrider took a seat on the edge of Kamui's bed - not too close, he didn't want to actually intrude or accidentally pressure him or something, but on the same piece of furniture.

Cheering people up was something Alberon was usually pretty good at, but usually it wasn't inappropriate to start joking around, so his options were kinda limited here. He could start up a conversation, though - it'd be a distraction, and those were usually good for nerves. Plus, if Kamui was focused on him then Sulith might stand more of a chance - hey, he might not use physical advances as part of his Flight bag-of-tricks, but talking was just fine. Nobody could complain about talking.

And it wasn't like it was hard to be cheerful; this was a Flight! Those were always fun, and should always be happy.

"She's really going to run them ragged, isn't she? Or would it be fly them ragged?"

~~~

Knight Tarivarsherath

Tarivarsherath continued to observe. Aiming for the lake, was she? Clever! And it would be hilarious when one of the chasers crashed into the lake. Definitely when, not if - someone was bound to, the lake was all there and conveniently crashable.

That the inevitable crasher was Morgoth just made it better - Ha! Take that, grumpy Officer! Not everything was about strength, you had to have brains.

--------------------
Alberon and Sulith | S'ran and Urukath | M'kor and Morgoth | C'raia and Lenath | Emiya and Sarkith | B'rene and Hesaeith | Z'ros and Preleth
Q'jaali and Murasamath | Nysaki and Mecuazuth | Suri and Nyneoth | Rhavan and Tarivarsherath | Alcarien and Tiaalmath | Jinasa and Ignith
Linnica and Kimuth | Airris and Raytanyth | S'rali and Xavalinth | Akori and Xiaoth | F'leren and Mihaith | J'thani and Nenieth | Essii and Rhalasiisth
Kanchu, Kansk, Husk, and Emsk | Kias, Kiask, Kask, and Kisk | Shiarynri, Shiarysk, and Rynsk | Alisirra, Lisi, and Alisk | Tessen
Lyseron and Twilight-on-ocean-waves | Kasiri and Sunset-on-the-lake | Telai and Elaizesh | Nairo, Melath, and Besyanth
A'shan and Enarith | Masa

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image
PMEmailGTalk
^
Sari
 Posted: Oct 22 2017, 12:04 PM

Advanced Member

K'ye stood awkwardly, feeling like she should do something to comfort one of the weyr's queenriders, but unable to think of what to do about it. A few remarks were made, but she just stood stiffly, a few feet from the door, trying not to be overwhelmed by the feelings. And she wasn't, not really. Control came with experience, after all.

Experience indeed.

Ezimoth followed the queen into the air with practiced ease. He was not particularly concerned--there had been other flights before, and would be many after--yet he was still eager, eager to catch this queen. As she dove down, his body prepared himself for whatever maneuver she would try--he'd seen many. He guessed she'd skim the water for a moment, flying over the surface, and as they reached the water, a second early, he pulled up to skim the water...and shortly after, shot up into the air.

Another good maneuver, of course. But not one he couldn't adapt to.

--

Syr was surprised to see the queenrider in such a state. Well, perhaps not that surprised, given the last hatching, but still. "A good day for a flight," she remarked, to no one in particular. "It will be a good clutch...particularly should Roraeth win." Of course, she had to throw that cocky little remark in.

Roraeth leaped into the air after the queen, following her as fast as he could, with the up and the down and the up again, he would get a little disoriented, and thus skimmed the water, though he managed to turn to his side, merely dipping one wing in, in what looked like a purposeful showy maneuver. Or at least, that's what he thought! He flew up after her, determined to do his best...even if he didn't win. He was keeping up relatively well, considering his caste, but would begin to tire long before the larger dragons.

--

Ari snuggled up next to Thene, enjoying her presence, as they waited out the flight. She could already feel herself merging with the officer, their presences becoming indistinguishable. Overwhelming, almost, and her first flight.

Glauth grew aggressive rather quickly, bursting after the queen, determination and anger evident in his eyes. Would these other, inferior males know to step down? Likely not. He might have to teach them a lesson. In fact, as a king drew too close to him, Glauth snapped his jaw in the king's direction, as a warning, before ignoring the other dragon.

Hotheaded in a flight, he barreled after the queen, not quite realizing the water was right there until he almost crashed into it, pulling up just after the last moment, getting his wings wet, and hovering there a moment before shooting up after her. He'd lost some time with his need to regain his bearings, but that didn't mean he'd lose. He wouldn't dare lose.

--

Karou remained hidden in her weyr, uninterested entirely, though not entirely...unaffected. Still, she tried to suppress it as best she could, and it helped that her dragon, as well, was perhaps less affected than the others. They were both quite good at keeping a cool head, for whatever reason.

Zaielsoth, for his part, was fully prepared when the queen launched into the air, having observed her movements, noticing the tensing and bunching of her muscles before she leaped skyward. He was not far behind her, though he consciously stayed at approximately the middle of the group. It would not be wise to be overzealous, overconfident, or showy. If he won, it would not be by being brash in the first moments of the flight.

He was prepared when she dove down, and he suspected she wouldn't fly straight into the water of the lake, and thus not surprised by her upwards movements. He even positioned himself, as he flew downwards, to make the upward flight as energy efficient and precise as possible. She would find no errors within him, of that he was sure. He trusted his own judgment and ability to speak for themselves.

--------------------
PM
^
Reakeda
 Posted: Oct 22 2017, 04:48 PM

Advanced Member

Carcharoth took off after the queen immediately, staying close to her. He wasn't so foolish as to waste his energy so early in the flight, trying to stay right on her tale, but he certainly wasn't going to fall behind either. Being the warrior he was, he'd trained in all sorts of flight styles, including the agility that Morgoth so obviously lacked. So while his build would suggest that maneuver over the water would be too much for him, he managed to just pull it off, giving him a slight advantage over those who had fumbled through it and those who had pulled out too soon. He did let out a hiss as Morgoth's fumble sent a spray of water up into his fur.

He paid no head to to the foolish little knight who was wasting all his energy showing off. That one would surely drop from the flight before it was over, but he did take note of those that made the maneuver, or almost made it. They would be who he needed to concern himself with later. Those would be the ones who would regret competing with him.

Androth was somewhere in the middle of the pack when the Queen started her dive. That is not to say he is slow. He just knew to conserve energy. Rather than continue up to the peak she'd dove from, Androth tucked his wings immediately and angled to insert himself back on her flight path. He was level with her, wiping his wings out a moment before her, when she started back up and he followed. While the way he chose to go about this might not win him any points, it would matter little if he was too tired or too slow in the end to keep up, so he opted for the middle ground. Conserve as much energy as possible while still getting through her test.

--------------------
PM
^
Grey
 Posted: Oct 22 2017, 05:16 PM

Advanced Member

Nodding politely to those already there, no matter their apparent mood. Io swept into the weyr. Sending a small, but genuine smile Kamui's way, that would hopefully be taken as the friendly gesture it was meant to be. She had thought about words, but words could easily be taken wrongly in a situation such as this one. Beside, she didn't know this queen's rider at all, so she couldn't know which, if any words, to say that might help on his obvious upset.

---

Watching Minervath dive, Suelath followed. Enjoying this speed, and the chase, and everything. And...seeing the queen's maneover, she gave a thrill of approval. Like Sarkith, she had such a little problem with avoiding crashing into the water. As the larger and heavier ones in the chase might. One even did!

Letting the tips of her claws touch and make trails in the water, she twisted up and away. Her wings beating strongly, not to forget fast, as she strove to build up speed again. The agility given to a soldier dragon, better than anyone's! That had let her turn quicker than just about everyone else, and for at least a little time, she was among those leading the chasing pack.

I still follow. And at least gracefully...unlike certain others, she called out in amusement. Mostly to Minervath of-course. But, she might not have kept the words entirely from the others.

--------------------
PM
^
Femisis
 Posted: Oct 28 2017, 04:44 PM

Advanced Member

Minervath laughed, well and truly laughed, as Morgoth plunged into the lake. It was just as she intended, after all. Those who weren't paying attention would take a swim, those that were would stay dry, unless they'd intended to get a little wet, like Sarkith. The Knight was truly impressive, the maneuver catching her eye, launching the little dragon up on her list of contenders. Suelath impressed her as well, if for her agility rather than strength. If only the larger dragons. She chuckled at Glauth, too, amused that so many had trouble with so simple a maneuver. They would have to pick it up if they wanted to catch her.

Suith was a chatty one, bit he wasn't all talk. He hadn't maneuvered quite as well as, say, Ezimoth, but he'd come rather close to the water before pulling up. Not bad, not bad at all. Your flattery is charming, but talk is cheap unless you can back it up, The Queen replied cheekily. They were all still there, none had dropped out yet. Well, only time would tell.

Changing direction, Minervath flew up and out of the Weyr, determined to submit her followers to a trial of endurance. The hilly landscape was perfect for sudden drops and climbs, flinging oneself in all directions to keep from hitting outcroppings of rock that seemed to come out of nowhere. That, and the number of dragons in the air would make maneuvering more difficult than if the sky were clear. 'Let's see them navigate that.' She thought proudly to herself and to Kamui.

----------

Kamui couldn't help but cock a brow at Alberon as the other rider sat down. How could he be so cheerful at a time like this? This could be a disaster! ... Or, his mind supplied him, it could all go perfectly well and the last clutch was an unfortunate anomoly. "She'll fly them to the bone," Kamui replied as he sat up, tugging on his clothes to try to at least appear presentable. He snorted at Syr, not in disbelief, but in amusement. A Knight winning? Well, Minervath never based her choice on rank, only on skill and whom she believed was the best sire. Maybe a Knight could win. "Roraeth will have to win first," He said with a small shrug. "Then we'll see."

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll