Storm Nexus

Information and News
Chatbox
Current News
IC Date: Month 11 2267 to Month 6 2268
(Turns 7-8 of the 10th Pass)
Please do not go beyond these dates; going back and doing threads in the past is fine, going into the future is not.
Threadfall: Ongoing; intermittent and unlikely to freeze as the weather warms
Following a spectacular flight, Queen Minervath was caught by King Sulith and is now heavy with eggs. A new clutch is on the way, but will it be anything like her last or will this time bring joy and not sorrow?

Meanwhile, the Weyr continues to recover from the disastrous fallout of the first Threadfall of the Turn. Thread was successfully fought, but there were many injuries that brought the fighting strength of the Weyr down. A meeting has been called amongst the Weyr's leadership, Weyrlingmasters and Wingleaders to determine where the weaknesses lie.

In happier news, Senior Queen Kansk and Soldier-King Candesk have laid clutches, and as the eggs have hardened it has become clear that a joint hatching is to be expected.

Play | Pause
The Drunken Dragon
Storm Nexus is a multi-platform site - we don’t just have the board, we have The Drunken Dragon. It’s our main social hub - for hanging out, plotting, chat RP, all kinds of things. Come say hi to us!
Our Staff

Prissy
Head Admin

Tirya
Resident Codebeast

Femisis
General
Admin

KnifeSmile
Founder and Loremaster
The Peacekeepers Age
The Peacekeepers Age
Storm Nexus: Pern as you've never seen her before.
Pern is the creation of Anne McCaffrey, may she rest peacefully beyond between. | Skin based on a Jcink default, customized by Tirya.
Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Eggs that go Bump in the Night, Joint Wher Hatching!
Tirya
 Posted: Nov 17 2017, 05:19 AM

King of Applesauce and Resident Codebeast
Group: Admin
Pronouns: They/them

[[Sari gets first reply with Candesk; please wait to unleash your Candidates until they've posted. For future reference, this has been dubbed the Night Watch clutch and will be a single Wherling class. If you'd like a refresher on egg names, see here.]]

~~~

day 7 month 11 turn 2267 - approximately 11 pm

It was a pleasant evening.

For a wherhandler, of course, it was more of a pleasant morning, but it was still a pleasant evening.

Not that it made much of a difference to Kansk - the night's weather didn't reach the sands of the Hatching Cavern. But the sands were warm, which was its own kind of pleasant, and it was a good time of day. She had been awake long enough to be fully alert, and the day was starting off fine. Her eggs were all in good condition - the small brightly-colored Flip It Upside Down was still insisting on being upside down, but it had been doing that for months at this point, so that was normal. The shells were nicely hardened, and getting to the point where the eggs would hatch any day now.

A double thump-crack rang out, disturbing the quiet of the cavern.

Trouble's Brewing and Sparkles and Fireworks had started rocking, and smacked into each other in the process - and that seemed to be the cue, as the rest of the clutch joined in. Kansk sat up, brimming with excitement - it was time!

It wasn't quite time for the general announcement, though. There was a proper way to do this, and that was to summon her mate and her bondnet first.

Karsk! Come greet our hatchlings! Kanchu, Husk! Come, is time!

Husk arrived mere minutes after he had been summoned; old as he was, the King still absolutely loved Hatchings, and skidded into the sands with very little dignity. He took up a position by the entrance - there should be a guard and someone to supervise things, and as part of the Senior Queen's bondnet, that was his job, and he would do it well.

Kanchu took longer than his older wher, mostly because he'd caved to formality and changed into a semi-formal tunic rather than his usual clothes; it still wasn't fancy, but it was a gold that matched Kansk's hide, so there was that. He took his place next to Kansk, giving the eggs an approving nod.

He'd also brought a folding table and a pitcher of klah, and proceeded to sip a cup of it as he readied for the oncoming ordeal, but everyone had their quirks.

The cavern workers responsible for bringing meat porridge for the hatchlings, who had been alerted by Kanchu, weren't long in coming; soon they were set up.

Soon enough, everything was ready, those who should be present first were present, and it was truly time. And yes, Candesk's eggs were Hatching too, but being Senior came with certain perks - and announcing eggs was one of them.

Come! Candidates, watchers, everyone - come! The eggs hatch!

She might have woken up a few dragons and their riders with that, but they could deal. Some of them liked to watch, and the rest would just have to live with hearing the announcement too.

~~~

Flip It Upside Down Egg - Soldier-Knight Aekisk to Taeki

Rolling Stone Egg - Officer Takisk to Takin

Intricate Spun Glass Egg - Scout Taesk to Taeki

Out of the Depths Egg - Adoptable Knight to NPC

Fly the Streamers Egg - Knight Taksk to Takin

Fields of Fluff Egg - Queen Eirask to Deira

Fog and Shadows Egg - Soldier Kersk to Kereriar

Trouble's Brewing Egg - Knight Kask to Kias

Sparkles and Fireworks Egg - Knight Kisk to Kias

Raise the Periscope Egg - Soldier Tessen (chose not to Impress)

Roaring Inferno Egg - King Razesk to Karsk

Falling Snow Egg - Officer Tyssk to Tyste

--------------------
Alberon and Sulith | S'ran and Urukath | M'kor and Morgoth | C'raia and Lenath | Emiya and Sarkith | B'rene and Hesaeith | Z'ros and Preleth
Q'jaali and Murasamath | Nysaki and Mecuazuth | Suri and Nyneoth | Rhavan and Tarivarsherath | Alcarien and Tiaalmath | Jinasa and Ignith
Linnica and Kimuth | Airris and Raytanyth | S'rali and Xavalinth | Akori and Xiaoth | F'leren and Mihaith | J'thani and Nenieth | Essii and Rhalasiisth
Kanchu, Kansk, Husk, and Emsk | Kias, Kiask, Kask, and Kisk | Shiarynri, Shiarysk, and Rynsk | Alisirra, Lisi, and Alisk | Tessen
Lyseron and Twilight-on-ocean-waves | Kasiri and Sunset-on-the-lake | Telai and Elaizesh | Nairo, Melath, and Besyanth
A'shan and Enarith | Masa

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image
PMEmailGTalk
^
Sari
 Posted: Nov 17 2017, 07:50 AM

Advanced Member
Group: Members

As if prompted by Kansk eggs, Candesk's eggs almost immediately began to tremble and crack. Deira stretched a little, already keeping Candesk company, as she'd had surprising anxiety about this clutch. It was Candesk's largest, after all, and was certainly a healthy one, give or take an egg. Candesk herself was quite proud of it, after all. "Lovely day for a hatching, wouldn't you say?" she remarked, perhaps to Kanchu, before reaching out to Deisk. Would you like to see the eggs hatch?

Deisk had been a surprisingly common visitor, despite his embarrassing loss in Kansk's run. He had claimed a few eggs from both clutches as "his," mainly the largest--two from each clutch--and the very small egg from Kansk's, for a grand total of 5. They were his babies, now. He was in the process of yelling at some wild yet amused wherry about his greatness, but he quickly wrapped that up in a way befitting him. BEGONE, WORTHLESS. DEISK IMPORTANT BUSINESS. BABIES, IF MUST KNOW. BYE, BITCH. And off he ran--though on his tiny legs, he'd likely miss half the hatching.

Candesk settled down, before supposing perhaps she should call the clutchfather to the eggs. She reached out to Kiask, smug amusement in her voice as she said, My eggs hatch. If wish to see, come.

Several eggs were showing signs of hatching, but none moreso than Nerf This Egg, which was violently shaking. One Shot, One Kill Egg was cracking delicately, a fine web, almost like a spider's web, of cracks appearing on its surface. Not to be outdone by its sibling, Deja Vu Egg began to shake, not quite as violently as its clutchsibling, but certainly, trying to hatch first.

((I just woke up, so sorry if anything doesn't make sense. I'll try to post the others soon, but if I can't this morning, they'll be here by the evening! Note: can post these guys in a separate post if preferred. Note 2, if anything doesn't jive, I was a bit different about these babies so feel free to change anything!))

Protect the Innocent Egg - Officer Gairesk to Gaire

Been Here All Along Egg - Soldier Rynsk to Shiarynri

Deja Vu Egg - Officer-soldier Balinosk to Balinon

Freeze! Don't Move Egg - Knight-king Adoptable to Adoptable

One Shot, One Kill Egg - Soldier-officer Yanask to Yanarrin

Nerf This Egg - Female Knight Alisk to Alisirra

Strong as the Mountain Egg - King Wyrhsk to Wyrhta

Go to Sleep Egg - Soldier-officer Irsk to Iralana

Heroes Never Die Egg - Soldier Mikask to Mikathren

Perfect Harmony Egg - Soldier Emsk to Husk

Cease Your Resistance Egg - Knight Eletsosk to Eletsoria

--------------------
PM
^
DadaistUnicorn
 Posted: Nov 17 2017, 09:23 AM

Advanced Member

As was the way of the world, not every candidate got along with one another, and it just so happened that some candidates found themselves in proximity quite frequently. Tyste and Gaire were two such candidates. The two feline ferali butted heads frequently and violently, whenever they were close to one another-- literally, in the beginning, and then just with words, and now sniped in whispers and glances and anything else that the 'masters wouldn't notice. The only reason for this de-escelation was intervention on the part of the 'masters-- had those in charge of the candidates as a whole not stepped in, the two would probably have come to more than blows. Chores hadn't deterred their fighting, but the threats of being dropped from candidacy altogether would. Whers were, for now, more of an appeal than tearing one another apart-- if only just.

Nevertheless, when the two found themselves walking together to the barracks on the literal eve of the hatching, it was not a happy meeting. Neither the sort to drop their pace or speed up to pass one another if they weren't there, they walked side by side, wearing strained smiles at each other that said quite clearly, 'i'll tear you apart if I get half the chance.'

Tyste would've left it at that, but Gaire couldn't resist mild escalation. Just when they were at the cavern, when it would be quite obvious that they couldn't actually do anything to one another, Gaire said in undertone, as they approached the queens to bow. "You know, whers are violent. I hope one tears your head off."

Tyste's impulse control was not really a thing and Gaire knew this; the other was trying to get the puma-porcupine kicked out of the hatching, and both of them were aware of it. Tyste made an abrupt, aborted motion, like she was going to punch the liger, but thought better of it, and did a sharp vicious smile instead.

"The mean ones will all go to you, they know their own kind." Tyste hissed back, and then they fell silent to do the actual bow.

They broke apart then-- no way in hell was Tyste going to spend an entire hatching in the company of Gaire, but she ground her teeth together and her clenched her fists tight enough to gauge small cuts in the pads of her palms with her claws at Gaire's response: "They'll come for you, too, then." The liger sounded totally unconcerned and confident, like she'd make off with a king or something; that rankled Tyste all the further, because she felt small and worthless, like the whers would ignore her completely.

((Tyste and Gaire are present! They will probably continue to try to psych one another out for the hatching.
IDK how much i'll be able to post, tho. Review is in 3 weeks so this is the busiest time for me. <3 I'll be around when i can.
may throw some riders in to watch, too, but no promises.))

--------------------
Character IndexActive posts

Ness writes dragons in trade

My pronouns: xe/xyr • Assume my bonds are projecting enough to be overheard by anyone within a few feet of them, unless otherwise indicated in my threads • Max Injury Default 14, unless post says otherwise
PM
^
Sari
 Posted: Nov 17 2017, 02:39 PM

Advanced Member

((Eletsoria and Taeki are on the sands, everyone else is in the stands. Feel free to interact with any of them! WIP, because Chrome has been funky so I don't want to lose my progress.))

Loud snoring could be heard from the barracks. Eletsoria was a wher candidate, of course, and naturally relatively nocturnal, but she was also...a late sleeper. Really, her sleep schedule was rather erratic--she got plenty of sleep, and she was technically on her own body's schedule! That schedule was just neither fully nocturnal nor fully diurnal. Surely a wher would change that, but at the moment, whers were but dreams, fragments of imaginings stuck in her head.

She dreamed of her wher, or whers--who knew what possibilities this clutch would hold!--and that moment on the sands where she would, eventually, Impress. She dreamed of the queen calling for her, and dreamed that she rushed to the sands, bowing before the wher, dressed appropriately, the moment absolutely perfect for--

Are you going to wake up? Or would you rather miss the hatching? A soft voice purred into her mind, gently seeping into the dream like a slow poison, melting the colors to grey. She tried to ignore it. Seria, getting in the way of her Impressing! The gall!

Seria, meanwhile, pounced onto Eletsoria's lap, causing the sleeping woman to let out an "oof." Still asleep, though, Seria thought. Such a heavy, heavy sleeper, Eletsoria was. Well, missing the hatching would absolutely not do. Not that she'd TELL Eletsoria about it, but Seria had seen promising signs in the future for her dearest bonded.

So with that, Seria gave a forceful mind push, shoving Elet into the world of the conscious once more. With a gasp, Eletsoria sat upright, before glaring at her blink cat. "Why would you wake me? That was such a nice dream...I dreamed of a lovely wher--or was it two? Three? It doesn't matter. I was sleeping still!"

Kansk has called. You're going to miss the actual hatching if you don't hurry. Seria stepped off of Eletsoria's legs, curling up and unfurling her wings, letting them drape down comfortably. It's a good thing she moved when she did, for at that instant, Eletsoria flung herself out from her bed, panic in her eyes, face drained. The hatching! Oh, no. So that part wasn't a dream! And she was still in her night gown! Well, there would be no time to wear her typical clothing, that's for sure--as much as she wanted to make that kind of Impression. (Ha, Impression, she thought.)

Well, they weren't particularly suited to the traditions of a hatching, she supposed, though robes were not her choice. She wore a light, easy to get into dress, black--of course!--and lacy, but not especially intricate, for her tastes. Not one to go looking like she'd just rolled out of bed--or one to go without a healthy amount of fashion and dark colors, either--she twisted her hair into a bun, pinning it to the top of her head with a fancy black comb. Satisfied that it didn't look too messy, she slipped a few bracelets on, as well as a necklace, and put on her boots. Boots, to a hatching? Of course.

With that, she rushed to the hatching, and despite likely arriving towards the later end, she was still early enough that none of the eggs had actually hatched yet. What a relief...

Eletsoria gave both queen and...well, she couldn't recall exactly what caste(s) Candesk considered herself, but for today, she figured the wher was, well, also a queen. "Thank you!" she said, brightly, yet somewhat groggily, but by the time she took her place beside the other candidates, she wondered why she had said thank you. Well, it was suitable, wasn't it?

--

As soon as the call went out, Taeki rushed to gather as many of her pets as she could find. Hardly tradition, but she had a good feeling about this hatching! She had a good feeling about most hatchings, of course, but her pets were great at avoiding danger, so it would be fiiiiiine. Her canines and wherries were curled up in a pile, and she didn't have the heart to wake them, but she let her tunnelsnake slither into her bag, which of course, she'd take with her! Beeki hopped in as well, and Exi would trot along after them. Surprisingly, Taeki was quick to pull on her candidate robes--which she'd recently decorated with ribbons, fabric paint, and patches, in a wonderfully hideous design. With a loud laugh, sure to wake any dragon candidates missing the hatching, she tromped along towards the sands.

"Impression, Impression, whers, whers, whers! Impression, Impression, wherwher-wheeeeers!" She sang a weird little song as she skipped, light in her heart. They arrived at the sands rather quickly, and were surprisingly early. Rather than just going onto the sands, she pulled a stranger aside on the way in. "I'm going to Impress today," she told them solemnly. "You'd better be watching." Before the stranger could give their confusion, she was running off towards the sands, Exi at her heels. She gave a bow to the two female whers, grinning and clapping. "Happy hatching, you two!"

I hope it's okay that I'm here! Or should I go? the fyxi asked politely. Candesk, at the very least, seemed amused by Taeki, and gave her approval.

If Kansk does not mind. Maybe Exi Impress, even~

If Kansk gave her approval, Exi would follow Taeki over to where the candidates had gathered, and if not--well then, she would just leave. Taeki, regardless, turned towards one of her fellow candidates. "Hi there! Lovely hatching day in a hatching way, wouldn't you hatching-say?"

--

Renn had decided; they did NOT like this Yanarrin. In fact, Yanarrin made their blood boil. How dare this guy antagonize them like that? It didn't take long for fists to start flying...despite the fact that Renn could probably have handled their disdain more efficiently should they have waited and brought their concerns to a "friend."

And then, swoop, a dragon came from out of nowhere, scooping them up in her jaws. Cursing loudly, and possibly a little more afraid for their life than they'd like to admit, Renn held on to whatever they could grab for dear life. It was nearly impossible to break free, even if the dragon was hardly eating them alive!

When they arrived--at a wher hatching, of all things?--Renn was more than happy to go back to antagonizing him. "Hey! Hey, deadglow! Wanna say that again?" they demanded, picking up where they left off as they tried to free themselves from the dragon, as if the dragon didn't even exist. "I'll kick yer ass...!"

((Jerahr, F'dae; Enojei, Kahtiss, Aaonaia; N'viri, Nyr'a, Eu'mia; Karou--Priority list? Maybe post?))

--------------------
PM
^
Grey
 Posted: Nov 17 2017, 04:04 PM

Advanced Member

Kereriar and Kerersk

As Kerersk thanked the two dams of the clutch, even giving some compliments. And being altogether more happy to be at this Hatching than he was. Kereriar still gave a nod of his own, finding some place to sit that should give him a fine view. Setting the cup of broth he'd brought to the side, as it was decently warm in this place. So he didn't need to hold something warm as well.

Now just to see what came of this. He thought as Kerersk settled down beside him, careful not to disturb that cup. Seeing young ones into the world is never wrong, she said.

Csianraa and Irimakth.

As of a few minutes ago, going to see a wher Hatching hadn't really been in their plans. Still, when hearing about it, Csianraa hadn't really disagreed with going to watch it. Especially not when Wyrhta, who was down with a not so light cold, had thought that a Hatching Ground might be the place to be. Especially as it'd be warmer.

So Irimakth had hauled herself, Csianraa, Wyrhta and Kinalsk over to the wher section of the Weyr. However....on the way there, she'd made a stop to swoop down and possibly snatch along a couple of people who had been fighting.

One of them dangling in one of her forefeet, and the other from her jaws. Irimakth's eyes whirled speedily as she turned her head to look back. "They're better off being a tribute to add to the spectators of this Hatching, those wher queens are due that much, at least. Besides, whers in general are better than trying to knocking teeth out," she said cheerfully.

Then they arrived at a spot where they could watch it all from.

Wyrhta and Kinalsk

Having brought a blanket, just in case. It'd definitely been needed on the short flight over to the wher dens, and Wyrhta still felt a bit cold, so he'd keep it on for as long as needed.

"Congratulations with your clutches. All the eggs are looking really nice, and I'm looking forwards to seeing the wherlets." Having said that to the dams and sires of the eggs, Kinalsk flicked his tail a bit. Trying to sit still, even if this was really exciting.

Yanarrin and Shirazoth

With a rather unimpressed look on his face, Yanarrin was pointedly not looking at the idiot he was just out of a fight with. He still would definitely have continued it if possible. Unfortunately, it was rather hard when being held by a dragon. One that apparently was amused by dangling him in midair as she did, and had just snickered at anything he'd said earlier.

So, he was quiet, if angrily so. Only glancing sideways as Shirazoth showed up as well. Yawning and giving Irimakth a bit of a look, before settling down beside them.

--------------------
PM
^
Kias
 Posted: Nov 18 2017, 03:20 AM

Pronouns:

My eggs hatch. If wish to see, come.

Kiask perked up immediately. The eggs were hatching! Now! Oh, how wonderful! He had been enjoying lounging in his den, but this was far better. Yes, will come! Will get Kias and be there soon!

Now to prepare. Getting his handler into anything appropriate or even non-explosion-stained was a lost cause, but hatchlings hardly cared about that anyways. The King made sure his fire-lizard was firmly perched on his head - wearing hats to important occasions was definitely a thing, he was sure of it, and surely Hat counted - then picked up a carefully wrapped package and went to drag his handler down to the Sands.

~

One of the benefits of a skewed and unpredictable sleep schedule was the ability to be awake at any given time. Of course, there was also a chance of not being awake, but details, details.

On this particular night, Kias was awake, and had just finished a set of stress-tests on a selection of jewelry clasp designs. Not quite his usual, but Kiask had wanted to commission something sparkly for Candesk, and Kias wasn't going to complain if the smith was happy to be paid with the barter system. Plus, it was fun to see just how much punishment the little bits of metal could take - some of them were surprisingly sturdy.

The smithcrafter was just finishing noting down the latest results when his wher dashed in, Hat in place on Kiask's head - normal, and given that Kias had Mini-me on his own head, something of a shared habit - and paper-wrapped package of sparkliness held delicately in his mouth - less normal.

Come! Eggs are hatching!

And that explained everything!

"Awesome! Gimme a minute to tidy this away, then we're good to go."

~

The trip to the sands passed in an uneventful and promptly ignored blur. Kiask went straight to Candesk and dropped his package in front of her. Brought a shiny present! Is to celebrate Hatching. Hope you like.

Meanwhile, Kias took up a position next to Deira. That was what the handler of the clutchfather did during Hatchings, right? Well, if it wasn't, too bad, he was doing it anyways. And besides, Deira was lots of fun to talk to.

"Hi! So we're finally going to find out what all's lurking in there, huh? I can't wait!"

And, of course, since this was Deira and she had a penchant for Second Sight -

"Got any interesting predictions for the eggs?"

[[The package is brown paper held together with string. It contains a silver band with elegant engraving and an oval of malachite set in the center, sized to fit Candesk as a bracelet. Kiask designed the basic concept and they commissioned it from Z'ros, who was amused enough by the idea that he did it in barter for Kias doing some stress-testing.]]

--------------------
Kias and King Kiask, Knight Kask, and Soldier Kisk
Mad Scientist Journeyman Smithcrafter, Day-Seeing Wher Companion/Science Minion,
and Horsewhers of the Apocalypse Night Watch Wherlings/Professional Troublemakers

Played by Tirya
PMEmail
^
Shiarynri
 Posted: Nov 18 2017, 03:58 AM

Pronouns: She/her for the human, he/him for the wher

Shiarysk grumbled when he heard Kansk's summons - he should have won her Run, shard it! What was she thinking, picking Karsk of all whers - but in the end, it was the Senior Queen's Hatching, and you just didn't miss those if you were anyone who was anyone, not unless you had important duties elsewhere when the eggs broke shell.

Plus, Shiarynri liked watching baby whers, soft touch that she was, and she deserved something nice for being so careful and diligent in de-thorning Shiarysk's hide after that trick with the cactuses.

(And that would be the last time that incident would ever, ever be mentioned. Ever.)

Already at the door, tail lashing in impatience - she'd heard the announcement too, she should be ready! She should know it was important to go! - the King growled at his handler.

Come! We go watch, pay respects to Senior Queen and eggs.

Shiarynri, who had taken the time to change into a semi-formal jacket - Shiarysk would complain if she didn't - just sighed. Sometimes there was just no winning with him. Shimmer, sensing that his human needed encouragement, reached up from his perch on her shoulder to nuzzle her face and chirp at her. There, see, he was here and they were going now, so there was no problem, right? Right!

Rewarding her mohark with scratches to his eye ridges - something that made him trill in delight - Shiarynri set off after her wher.

~

In the end, finding a seat in the stands was pretty much always the same - find unoccupied spot, sit in spot, spot is now yours. Shiarysk made sure to claim one where his handler could see all the eggs well, and where his presence was evident - if they were going to be here, they were going to do it right. Plus, this was a double clutch, and that wasn't something you saw every day - and one of them was from a chimera and the child of a shifted Therioi, so there were bound to be some interesting mutations there.

Shiarynri, on taking her seat, moved Shimmer to her lap and started petting the mohark; it was something of a habit she'd picked up, since it gave her something to focus on and to do with her hands rather than worrying about anything, and Shimmer loved the attention and was hardly going to discourage her. (Shiarysk wasn't either, though for very different reasons: Shimmer was one of the first Moharks in the North and ha, his human had him on her lap.)

Still absently petting Shimmer, Shiarynri looked over the clutches, before focusing on the One Shot, One Kill Egg - that one was already cracked, so it would probably be the first out, right? Or at least, close to the first, so a good one to keep an eye on.

[[100% open for conversation tagging; have at it!]]

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Tirya
 Posted: Nov 18 2017, 04:47 AM

King of Applesauce and Resident Codebeast
Pronouns: They/them

Most of the Candidates got simple nods of acknowledgement; formally announced, formally accepted, Candidacy as usual. The ones that did or said something different - and the audience members that stood out, too - got a bit more than that.

@Sari / Taeki

Very happy, yes. This one, Kansk liked - the Candidate was certainly odd, but she knew how to be careful around eggs, and it was important to have a sense of fun. Formality was important and had a purpose, but it got boring after a while.

Kansk snorted in amusement at Exi. The girl wanted to bring her fyx? Kansk had seen weirder, and not even from this particular human. And she was a polite fyx - that got her points.

Do not mind, as long as behave. All are welcome if treat eggs well.

@Grey / Kinalsk

Thank you. All are looking forward to wherlets - is very exciting.

Kansk didn't have much of an opinion on the hybrids in general, but she hardly had anything against them, and Kinalsk at least was representing his species quite well, polite as he was. And his - rider? handler? Kansk wasn't sure what terms the hybrids used - was... oh dear. Wrapped in a blanket? On the Sands? Must be under the weather, then. Luckily wherlets were tough enough that a few human sneezes would do no harm. She should be a good host, though.

If your human needs more warm, Kanchu has klah. He can have cup.

No, she hadn't asked Kanchu beforehand, but she didn't need to. They knew each other well enough that she knew he'd be happy to give a cup of klah to a sick person.

~~~

Alisirra and Soldier Lisi (Alisisk) - wherlings

Alisirra and Lisi arrived in the Hatching Cavern a bit ruffled - they'd rushed to get here, and it showed - but otherwise in good shape. Nodding to Husk, because respecting the doorguard was just good sense, and to the clutchmothers, for obvious reasons, the pair headed to the spectators' section and found a seat near the front.

Lisi, having reached a Turn old, was now too big to comfortably sit in a chair, but that just meant she could sit in front of Alisirra and cuddle up to her legs. Plus, being older meant it was easier to stay awake because she was doing more than just eating and sleeping, so she could watch and really watch when she did it!

And this clutch in particular was really exciting, for both Soldier and handler - Candesk's clutch had the same sire as Lisi, and Kansk's hatchlings would be Senior Queenlets. Plus, what with having Lisi and being a wherling, Alisirra wasn't technically a Candidate anymore, but she knew from Cysinora that that didn't always matter to baby whers, so it was a good idea to always be there anyways.

Lisi had a rather less complicated opinion of the Hatching than her handler - yes, all of the stuff Alisirra was thinking about was true and good, but today they were going to get to see dozens of little wherlets find their people! It was going to be amazing!

The young Soldier's excited trill might have been covered by the general noise in the cavern, but then again, it might not have. Her eyes were certainly whirling a bright enough green that anyone glancing at her would get the message, anyways.

~~~

@Sari again / GOD WHER

Airris and Soldier Raytanyth - Zoid Weyrlings

The great thing about Raytanyth getting older - aside from having more time to spend with her that didn't involve meat being eaten - was that they could go do more things together. And since she was awake right now, that included a wher hatching!

Are you sure we should be going to this? It's for whers, not dragons, and it's late, and we could get in trouble, and-

It'll be fine, dear. People go to these all the time!

Well... you would know, but, it might have changed, and if we get in trouble at least I warned you and we know it could happen, right?

Right. Hello, what's this?

"This" was an extremely tiny wher - tiny enough that it was more like a lizard - doing its level best to run down the corridor to the Hatching Cavern. Airris and Raytanyth blinked in unison - sure, Airris did a lot of weird on a regular basis, but there was weird and there was weird.

...I have no idea what to do about this. I am at a loss for words. Help?

If he keeps going like this, he could get squished! He's so tiny! And that would be so so so terrible, we can't let that happen, we'll have to give him a ride.

Works for me. "Hello, tiny wher! It looks like you're going to the Hatching; need a ride?"

--------------------
Alberon and Sulith | S'ran and Urukath | M'kor and Morgoth | C'raia and Lenath | Emiya and Sarkith | B'rene and Hesaeith | Z'ros and Preleth
Q'jaali and Murasamath | Nysaki and Mecuazuth | Suri and Nyneoth | Rhavan and Tarivarsherath | Alcarien and Tiaalmath | Jinasa and Ignith
Linnica and Kimuth | Airris and Raytanyth | S'rali and Xavalinth | Akori and Xiaoth | F'leren and Mihaith | J'thani and Nenieth | Essii and Rhalasiisth
Kanchu, Kansk, Husk, and Emsk | Kias, Kiask, Kask, and Kisk | Shiarynri, Shiarysk, and Rynsk | Alisirra, Lisi, and Alisk | Tessen
Lyseron and Twilight-on-ocean-waves | Kasiri and Sunset-on-the-lake | Telai and Elaizesh | Nairo, Melath, and Besyanth
A'shan and Enarith | Masa

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image
PMEmailGTalk
^
SNStaff
 Posted: Nov 19 2017, 12:19 AM

Administrator

Iralana of Knight Iralask
Iralana being a Master Wher Healer had good reason to be ther and so she was there, she walked in and bowed gently to the Queens. "Well Ladies, it is an honor to see your eggs." She said softly as she looked at them and stayed off to the side, she stood waiting to see what happened at this clutch. She hoped it went better than her clutch as Iralanask had gone and a small part of her was still wanted to be a Queen Wher, but she was a Therioi and knew better.

Mikathren of Officer Mikathresk
Mikathren hated and loved hatchings partially because Mikathresk wanted to attend and she was determined to see this hatching and spend time with him as they both walked in and she bowed to the pair, "My Queen it is an honor to be asked to witness." She said and the wher at her side bowed as well though both heads were watching the eggs concerned about what was to come, there was clearly some secret about what was going to happen.

Takin of King Takinsk, Soldier Task
Takin sighed as he rolled over in bed, five two month old babies were bad enough but that along with two whers and those babies along with a hatching that had Task jumping, bouncing on her feet. Let's go! Go! NOW! Task said as she looked at her human and bounced on his feet, Takin rolled over and glared at Task. "I got to sleep two candlemarks ago." He told her as he growled and stood slowly and looked at Takinsk who was trying to rise to his feet. The wher had taken to guarding the door, the trio were up and ready even if Takin wanted more klah than he could possibly get.

"Wherleader. Got more of that klah? I need it badly." He said softly as he looked at the man, his nine months as a woman had been the worst hell of his life as he looked at him. He wanted to get something to wake himself up and tend to his whers, Takinsk grumbled at his side but it was Task that had them both ready to strangle her. Pretty babies! Task called to Kansk and Candesk.
PMEmail
^
Sari
 Posted: Nov 19 2017, 04:37 PM

Advanced Member

The One Shot, One Kill Egg was certainly showing signs that it might be the first to hatch. Despite its clutchsiblings' vicious rocking, the hatchling inside was actually making progress at breaking through its egg. But...not quite yet. It did, however, give a little twitch, nudging into the large egg in its cluster. The Protect the Innocent Egg reacted surprisingly, by a crack forming on its thick shell--albeit in an entirely different spot from the impact. It was as if the egg were spurred into action by its clutchsibling...for whatever reason.

Meanwhile, a small, hidden egg, the Been Here All Along Egg, unnoticed by most at the hatching, was trembling, ever so slightly, and even gave a jerk or two. With the final jerk, a small hole appeared. The hole widened, as if on its own, until the egg tipped over--and then nothing. The egg grew still, and nothing emerged. Candesk didn't seem especially worried, but perhaps she hadn't even noticed.

Protect the Innocent was the first egg to actually hatch, though, despite the thickness of its shell--shards broke off as the egg expanded, before the officer finally tumbled free. He lifted himself to his feet, displaying brilliant blues and yellows--but without any actual hide visible. No, this officer was entirely scaled, with hardly an inch of hide on his body. He looked warily to the One Shot, One Kill Egg, just before it hatched into a purple and dark grey soldier...or, given that sheen, perhaps not a soldier? Her long tail lashed, and she glanced smugly over to the Deja Vu Egg, which was still fighting to hatch, anxious to get out of its egg.

Well, One Shot, One Kill could take care of that...

She slowly advanced towards the rainbow colored egg, before suddenly Protect the Innocent used his superior size and strength to bat her away. Don't do that, he warned, a low growl in his throat.

Ugh, FINE! the wher snapped, her body language suddenly hostile, rather than chilly. Have better things to do than wait for the ugly brat. With that, One Shot, One Kill began to prowl around the candidates, sniffing here and there, looking about.

Protect the Innocent Officer
user posted image

One Shot, One Kill Soldier-Officer
user posted image

--------------------
PM
^
DadaistUnicorn
 Posted: Nov 20 2017, 09:15 AM

Advanced Member

The hatching of the first eggs proved distracting enough to draw even Gaire and Tyste's attention away from glaring daggers at each other; the first two babies on the sands were way more important than any petty grievance, even if it didn't feel petty to the participants.

And, of course, their opinions of the babies was split according to their personalities. Gaire, contrary to what one might expect, didn't particularly care to see the destruction of a baby-- but to her thinking, the weak were a liability to be pitied, and since the purple wherlet had hatched among the first, she was the strongest and was willing to cull the other eggs that were weaker by default. She had no particular objection when the purple-grey moved to cull an egg that hadn't yet hatched-- What she did object to was the way the officer chased the purple wherlet away. She scowled at hte blue-yellow officer.

Tyste, of course, approved wholeheartedly. Small for what she was, she thought it vital that hte weak be protected-- and the idea that they were not worth protecting was foul and regressive. She shot daggers with her scowl at the purple wherlet, before turning the expression back to Gaire, entirely unsurprised to see the Liger glaring at the wrong wherlet.

Go figure.

--------------------
Character IndexActive posts

Ness writes dragons in trade

My pronouns: xe/xyr • Assume my bonds are projecting enough to be overheard by anyone within a few feet of them, unless otherwise indicated in my threads • Max Injury Default 14, unless post says otherwise
PM
^
R'shar
 Posted: Nov 21 2017, 03:40 AM

R'shar was still heavily sedated and pain ridden but that didn't mean he wasn't concious, he kept slipping in and out for the last few weeks. It had been a month since that disastrous threadfall, it made R'shar sure of only one thing. He was NEVER flying Fall again, he'd told Pie that and he knew she shared his pain and his desire to not Fly again not like that.

Piezoeth for her part took herself and the bond-net to watch the wher hatching, she was still worried and her eyes whirled pale yellow almost constantly these days. She was constantly worried for her rider, even if she could feel his mind in the back of her mind, he'd only woken twice and both times screamed his agony and told the healers to stop sharding touching him. But they'd not been touching him there had only been the bandages, now he was heavily sedated not even his magic could be felt.

Sihelrar-Ta had shut down R'shar's magic himself, he did that mostly to ensure that he didn't accidently will something into existence. The 'net knew that was a risk as the rest went to the Hatching of the Wherlets, Piezoeth took up a watching post nearby. But she knew that whers rarely if ever chose anything but humans if they did at all, but the other creatures were all interested as Pie studied them. Wonderfully beautiful eggs and offspring, Kansk and Candesk Piezoeth said with a solemn nod of her head, as she did so she felt R'shar stir at the back of her mind. Not so much waking as just aware that she was still with him.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
SNStaff
 Posted: Nov 21 2017, 04:15 AM

Administrator

Charley looked over at Trouble and Aly who both raised their heads at the call of the whers that had laid eggs. He bolted up right as he did his group of flitters also darted around, they were all quickly getting ready. "Get Alcarien." He called to his flitters as he quickly got dressed and ready, then he saw the ten of them take off and got Alcarien. He knew that his flitters were going to make sure that they did what was best, so it was that Charley was waiting for Alcarien only a few moments.

He dashed off once she was there with him, "It's time!" He said excitedly as his pair of young whers darted ahead of him. But the trio were doing their best to not feel upset that they couldn't be around Alcarien more often but training kept them apart. Because she needed to train Tia during the day and he had to be with his pair at night, so he enjoyed these small moments.

Oh stop thinking. Aly told him firmly as she focused on getting there and bowed to the queens giving them the respect they were due as the ones who laid eggs. So manyTrouble bounced a bit as he wanted to shuffle forward and snif at the eggs and get a closer look at some of them.
PMEmail
^
Rekal
 Posted: Nov 21 2017, 04:18 AM

Rekal sighed as he'd had his children dumped on him as soon as they could be delivered, so he had so many offspring that he'd passed them off on the creche. He didn't even look twice at them, they were Irmira's and his but he'd been told in no uncertain terms that no one was to know who the mother was. That left Rekal conflicted and worried, had someone found out about him and Oprierd? Was that why his friend and lover was being so adamant he not tell anyone about the children's mother? He constantly thought about these things and it made Rekask's already difficult job a thousand times more difficult.

Never friend. Barely mate. Rekask told him again this time however her head raised and she felt the call for the eggs. Come it is time! Rekask called as she trotted out of their quarters towards the hatching, Rekal sighed heavily as he walked with her towards the Sands even as his mind swirled with thoughts of Oprierd. He sent Kirral with a letter to him, hoping this one would get a response even if the last half dozen or so hadn't.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Sari
 Posted: Nov 21 2017, 08:53 PM

Advanced Member

@DadaistUnicorn / Gaire

Taeki grinned, clapping again. "Good luck to you--and me!" she replied to the queen. With that, she scurried over to where the other candidates were.

Exi gave the queen and chimera a final bow. Thank you, she said, before scurrying off after Taeki.

As the first few eggs hatched, Taeki gave a soft gleeful squeal. Not really processing, at least not openly, the intentions of the One Shot One Kill wher, she beamed at the two whers on the sands. "How eeeexciting! A hatching! Hey, do you think I'll Impress?" she asked, turning to Gaire, who looked kind of mad at one of the hatchlings, the pretty blue and yellow one. "I think I will. I think whers like me. I don't smell. Well, I smell like me, but everyone smells like themselves. I also smell like Exi sometimes." She leaned in to Gaire's space, giving a long sniff. "You smell like angry."

Does anger have a stink to you?

"Yep!" Taeki replied to Exi aloud, regardless of whether anyone was listening to the softspoken fyx.

---

@DadaistUnicorn / Tyste

With a wave of her arm, Eletsoria greeted the whers into the world. Not that they seemed to notice her flourished wave. Ah, well. She would meet them properly later, hopefully. Well, one of them, maybe not--One Shot, One Kill seemed almost...predatory towards its sibling, which gave her...well, bad vibes! At least Protect the Innocent could, well...protect the innocent. After all, Deja vu hadn't even DONE anything, right? Well, she'd be happy with either wher. Any wher, any bond, really. But hah, she wasn't going to get into that.

You're not THAT lonely, Seria purred into her mind, the mog blink cat lying in Eletsoria's bed. You have me.

Don't remind me, Eletsoria returned with an eye roll, though she also sent an empathetic hug, a mental surge of affection.

Distracted as she was, she didn't realize the One Shot, One Kill wher had started moving among the candidates--tamely, for now, but she didn't trust that. Whers could be violent, after all, and this one seemed...well, interesting? She supposed interesting was an okay word for it. Unique? Exquisite?--no, not exquisite! Bizarre? Not quite... Perhaps, strange? Yes, that was it.

She turned to the nearest candidate--Tyste--and kept a cheerful smile on her face, despite the constant nagging of impending doom. "Strange little hatchlings, hm? An omen of some kind, though I'm not sure if it's a good omen or an ominous omen." Probably the latter, she thought, as she reached into her pockets and pulled out some small green leaves, and offered one to the woman. "Mint? Helps with nerves, and also tastes good."

---

@Tirya / Airris

Deisk was tiring, much like in the run; he could only go so fast for so long. When Airris spoke to him, however, he growled. While they could have used worse words--such as help--they HAD called him tiny! UNFORGIVE. NOT TINY. MASSIVE PRESENCE. OMNISCIENT. OMNIPOTENT. OMNIGREAT. INSOLENT! He turned towards them, irritated about the hatching and willing to take it out on the poor rider pair. And then, he paused.

Upon realizing that he probably wouldn't make very good time, or something, he relented. DO NOT NEED 'RIDE' BUT DO NEED MINIONS. With that, Deisk began to attempt to climb onto poor Raytanyth, possibly scratching her lightly in the process. STRANGE PALE HUMAN. BIG STINKY DRAGON. NOW DEISK MINIONS. WILL TAKE DEISK TO SEE BABY-EGG-WHERLETS.

---

(Slight tags) @Grey / @Prissy
@Tirya / Kias(k)

Candesk watched as so many came to bow before her. It was certainly a larger affair than most of her hatchings had been, and she couldn't say she minded. Perhaps she would lay her eggs here more often. All kinds arrived, including that Irimakth, her rider, and some "uninvited guests" who seemed to be "quarreling," much to Candesk's amusement. Kerersk got an amused snort at his compliments, but a brush of gratitude, almost as an afterthought. Kinalsk, however, got a Eggs ARE quite lovely. Please, do not let rider sneeze on. Her tone, of course, was simply amused.

She hadn't much thought of Kiask since her call--largely because she was so wrapped up in her eggs' hatching, and her own pride--and hadn't responded to his acknowledgement. As he arrived, however, her eyes whirled with color, clearly pleased to see him, his handler--and whatever he was carrying in his mouth? Shiny present? She turned to Deira immediately. Deira, my thumbs.

"They're my thumbs, dearest, but yes, I will open it for you." Deira shook her head, laughing, as she picked up the package and opened it for her wher, showing her the bracelet. Candesk gave an amused rumble, before holding out her foreleg so that Deira could fasten the bracelet for her. Only then did Candesk turn back to Kiask.

Is good gift. Knew I chose Kiask for a reason.She gave him an affectionate nudge and settled back down.

Iralana, master wher healer, gave her quiet regards, to which Candesk replied with silent acknowledgement and approval. Mikathren, too, called it an honor, to which Candesk replied, It is honor. Similar compliments and honors got similar quips or smug replies, with occasional appreciation scattered in between. She certainly wasn't the most gracious clutchmother, now was she?

As her eggs began to hatch--two of them, that she saw, into healthy whers--Candesk’s eyes whirled with pride, because she MADE those. That never got old, really, no matter how many clutches she’d had or would have. One of them wanted to attack their sibling, which Candesk would have stopped herself, had not the other hatchling "guided" his sibling away. Well, good. She would see chaos among her offspring, perhaps, but not a single fatality.

Meanwhile, Deira was more than happy to chat with Kias. "Oh, yes, and what a lovely bunch of whers they will be." She smiled, as if she knew all the answers. Which, well, she just might. "A few chimeras, like Candesk, and many healthy ones. I don't see many bad eggs, so to speak, among them...but there may be one or two," she said, eyeing the One Shot, One Kill egg.

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll